My favorite girl is 3 months old, and I am now 3 months postpartum. Both of our bodies are changing every day, and it has been a pretty wild ride. Lila has gone through three developmental leaps, a couple of growth spurts, and is thankfully still a pretty solid sleeper. She’s learning new skills, I kinda sorta started working again, and I’ve been working out as consistently as possible. The last 3 months have been stressful and exciting and exhausting. Here’s everything we’ve been up to for the last month.
Related Post: 2 Month Postpartum Update
3 Month Postpartum Update
- Lila has grown to just under 11.5 lbs! She’s still a tiny little nugget, but she’s gaining weight!
- She has been exclusively breastfed up to this point, and thankfully takes a bottle of pumped milk when I’m not home. I was only able to nurse her brother for about 10 days before his severe reflux and food allergies meant a change to formula.
- Her napping schedule has been somewhat variable for the last few weeks, but she mostly sleeps about 5-6 hours during the day over 4 naps. Her first nap is always about 2 hours, and the rest can be anywhere from 1-2 hours. She sleeps from about 7:30pm to 7am, with one dream feed about 10pm.
- She’s been breaking out her swaddle more consistently, so we decided to try a transitional swaddle (Love to Dream Swaddle) that allows her to keep her arms up, and self-soothe with her hands, but helps calm the startle reflex. She seems like she really likes it so far, and we’re really happy we don’t have to go cold turkey unswaddle.
- She’s been mostly wearing 3 month sized clothes, but it seems like she’ll be outgrowing those any day now. Which is not exactly ok with me, but what can we do?
- She babbles all day long, and her daddy and I think it is the sweetest thing. She’s great at tummy time. I’m pretty convinced she’s going to start rolling over any day now.
- In the last couple of weeks, she has started grabbing things with two hands and pulling them up to her face. She loves to put whatever she can in her mouth.
- I’ve been running fairly consistently, and have finally built up to running 4 miles without a walking break. I’m still doing intervals for my easier runs during the week. My hips and glutes still feel pretty weak, but I’m getting some core work every week to rebuild my strength.
- CrossFit has been getting easier, and I’m not having to do as much modifying. I’m been able to incorporate pull-ups, burpees, abmat sit-ups, and single unders without issue. I’m still waiting on double unders, box jumps, and toes to bar. I’m getting more used to lifting from the ground, but I’ve noticed that there isn’t a huge delta between what feels like easy, light weigh and what feels heavy.
- My weight has been pretty consistent since I had Lila, and I’m still not interested in focusing on it. If my weight changes, that’s fine, but it’s not a priority or goal of mine to try to lost it.
- We did hire a nanny, and she starts with us next week. I have very mixed feelings. I’m excited to have a few hours where I can truly focus on work, but I also don’t love the idea of someone else supervising my baby. Even if I am home. Fingers crossed things go smoothly.
I was off work this week, and I loved every single second. Monday, I was able to sleep in and get my run in on the greenway in the afternoon, and I was so happy to be able to run outside. Lila had a quick shot appointment on Thursday, and the boys and I went for a long walk on the greenway afterwards. The pollen was insane, but it was a really beautiful day.
We did absolutely nothing exciting for New Years Eve or New Years Day. Honestly, I don’t really remember the last time I was interested in celebrating New Years. I really enjoy being in my pj’s and staying in bed over just about anything else that happens at midnight. This week was a cutback week, so my long run was fairly short. I did get the whole run done without any walking intervals, which I was pretty happy about. Afterwards, I took Enrique to a trampoline park with a girlfriend who has a couple of kids close to his age. He had an absolute blast, and I was happy to have a few hours out of the house.
I’ll be back at work next work, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to workout consistently, but we’ll see how everything shakes out.
This Weeks Workouts
Total Miles: 17.51 Miles
Total Workouts: 4
How the Run Felt
I was really grateful to get more of my weekday runs in outside on the greenway this week. The only day I ended up running on the treadmill was Tuesday, because my husband had to work for most of the day, and I haven’t gotten brave enough to take both kids out for a run by myself just yet. All of my runs this week felt pretty easy, and I’m planning to increase my weekday intervals to include longer running periods next week. It was pretty hot most of the week, which I wasn’t a super big fan of, but definitely nowhere near the blazing temps I expect to see this summer. I was really happy to get 4 consecutive miles on Saturday, since this was my first run that didn’t include a walk break. Regaining strength and fitness has been a very long process, and it’s been humbling to say the least.
How the WODs Felt
Like I mentioned earlier this post, I’ve noticed that the difference in weight that feels easy versus weight that feels crushingly hard is very small. There wasn’t a ton of heavy lifting this week, but I saw during my Snatch complex on Monday and DT on Wednesday that it only took about 10-15lbs to make a lift go from feeling easy to heavy. The workouts this week were pretty cardio heavy, and I felt pretty good for most of them. Fridays workout included rope climbs, and I gave them an attempt, but my legs just aren’t strong enough to support me climbing 30ft vertically just yet. So I’ll be staying on the ground for the foreseeable future.
What I’ve Been Listening To
Death Resulting and the Real Killer have been really crazy to listen to over the past couple of weeks, and I’m still really interested to see how both are going to end. I started one new podcast this week called Sacred Scandal. It’s a true crime podcast about a nun who was murdered on the grounds of a catholic school. The podcast is hosted by a woman who was going to school when the murder happened. So far, it sounds like a pretty wild story.
What Went Well
I went back to work, and no one was harmed.
What Went Shitty
Even though I was off work all week, the days seemed to fly by really fast, which I don’t particularly appreciate.
Plans to Improve Next Week
I need to start stretching regularly, but extra time has been a little difficult to come by lately.