For the last couple weeks of my pregnancy, I decided to take a little blogging break. I was getting very little sleep, and I honestly just wanted to nap any time I wasn’t working or working out. I did continue running, walking, and doing some home workouts until the day before I delivered, but most of what I was doing felt very repetitive and not what I would consider exciting enough to share.
Now that our little wolf is here, I am still adjusting to our new routine. I plan on posting a “birth story” post once I’m a little more settled, but I did want to share a few details of what’s going on with our growing family. So here’s the quick and dirty:
- I went into labor one day after my due date (9/29/21) at about 5:30 pm
- Baby arrived earth side the next morning (9/30/21) at 5:24 am
- WE HAD A BABY GIRL. After 9 months of not knowing what was cooking in there (besides the fact that it was a baby), I was honestly very shocked when we finally realized we’d had a girl
- We settled on Lila Calian for her name. Calian is Native American and means “warrior of life”
- Our daughter was born on Orange Shirt Day- which honors and remembers the children whose remains have been found on the sites of former residential schools
- I survived an unmedicated birth, and it was the hardest thing I have ever done, which says a lot considering I ran a 100k ultramarathon in the past year
- Lila was born 20.5 inches and weighed 6lbs, 11 ounces
- So far she has been a great little baby. She sleeps well, nurses well, and hasn’t given us too many scares
- Her big brother was insanely excited to meet her, and did not appreciate the fact that we had to spend 2 nights in the hospital. But he was very happy to be the first non-parent person to hold her when we got home
In the past week and a half, I have been focusing on being able to eat without heart burn (hallelujah), smelling Lila’s head, and trying to get outside twice a day. I do plan to blog about my return to running and CrossFitting, and the whole postpartum journey. My family is so thankful to share that we are all healthy and enjoying the transition to being a family of four. Big thank you to everyone who has sent me kind messages, brought meals for our family, and checked in on me during the past few weeks. Much more to come in the next couple of months!